Friday, 3 October 2014

Pro-Beijing groups are systematically attacking protests in Hong Kong

A pro-democracy student protester, left, is pressed by angry locals trying to remove the barricades blocking streets in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, Friday, Oct. 3, 2014.

HONG KONG—People opposed to the pro-democracy protests that have paralyzed Hong Kong for nearly a week took matters into their own hands this afternoon, in what appeared to be an organized attack on three different protest areas. The result was a series of chaotic scuffles involving protesters, their opponents, and police. The groups, predominantly male and middle-aged, tore down the makeshift tents that demonstrators have been using to take shelter from heavy rains, surrounded students, and sometimes physically attacked demonstrators.


The South China Morning Post reported “altercations throughout the day between protesters and members of the public who want them to leave” at the Causeway Bay protest site, including a man who was restrained by police after he “tried to physically assault protesters,” and complained “that he has two children and can’t get to work.” By nightfall, things had gotten worse, as crowds of people grew:




Police have zero control #umhk #cwb pic.twitter.com/OM7pDaMXyP


— Jason Fung (@jfung1) October 3, 2014





At another protest site in Mong Kok, which had been peaceful all week, crowds tore down tents and encircled protesters standing under the last Occupy tent on Nathan Road.


“They are pushing for democracy, but not supporting our democracy,” one man in a purple polo shirt, who said he was 50 years old and from the New Territories, told Quartz. “Transportation is bad, people can’t go to work. It is really inconvenient.” Several of the anti-Occupiers told Quartz they were from the New Territories, the area of Hong Kong north of Mong Kok.


Police formed a loose line between protesters and the anti-protesters groups, but failed to stop several physical altercations. “Clear the area,” the anti-protester group chanted several times.


“I think there was planning,” Frank Yau, a 21-year-old student at the protests, said. “They all came here at the same time. Something is going on.” Protesters yelled “Go back to China” at the anti-protest crowds, and “”xia ban, xia ban” or “Leave work, leave work,” insinuating that they had been paid to be there. You can see what’s happening in Mongkok on TVB’s live feed camera (which may not work in some countries).


New York Times reporter Austin Ramzy posted several photos and videos from Mong Kok detailing a heated confrontation:




Bit of a street battle. Occupy opponents tearing down tents in a rainstorm in Mong Kok http://t.co/RAqwphq0oV


— Austin Ramzy (@austinramzy) October 3, 2014




Instagram Photo




Roving street clashes in Mong Kok. Protesters under attack. http://t.co/YFaSNYTVoF


— Austin Ramzy (@austinramzy) October 3, 2014






我不是黑社會. 我是香港人. “I’m not mafia, I’m a Hong Konger,” a man who had been tearing down tents in Mong Kok told me.


— Austin Ramzy (@austinramzy) October 3, 2014




The police seemed unable to control the fighting, reported the Financial Times’ Josh Noble:



The scene was “very tense,” according to the AFP’s Jerome Taylor:




Things are getting very tense at Mongkok protest site. Demonstrators surrounded by angry pro-Beijingers pic.twitter.com/DTs77hhZQ2


— Jerome Taylor (@JeromeTaylor) October 3, 2014




Several foreign reporters said they were asked to leave:




This is now getting ugly. I was just told “what do you think you’re doing here? This is none of your f*g business.” pic.twitter.com/arV6MOV5pg


— Nathan VanderKlippe (@nvanderklippe) October 3, 2014






Mong kok has turned very nasty as anti occupy protesters hem in the students from all sides. An old man just spat at me. Not like HK at all.


— Bryan Harris (@bryanhimself) October 3, 2014




One was assaulted:




I just got hit by anti #Occupycentral as Mongkok buses are removed https://t.co/0H6WPBi9BG


— Tom Grundy (@tomgrundy) October 3, 2014




And at the protests epicenter in Admiralty, pro-Beijing groups are starting to arrive, say reporters on the ground:




RT @stegersaurus “Pro bj ppl arrive in admiralty pic.twitter.com/DdCB4BcU1S


— viewhk (@viewhk) October 3, 2014




The three groups behind the protest said in a statement Friday night that they would call off talks with the government if the government did not “immediately prevent” the “organized attacks on supporters of the Occupy movement.”




Pro-Beijing groups are systematically attacking protests in Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment